Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lack of Interest In: Showing More than Ever with the PHS Cheerleaders

 Certain sports at Palmetto High School seem to be forgotten about. It makes the athletes feel that there is no point to participate because if the school doesn't care, we don't. It's not the coaches fault the majority of the time. I feel like it is the lack of interest and commitment of Palmetto's athletic program. If someone of importance would take a step back and at the least, observe and watch the PHS cheerleaders, they would realize how apparent it is that we are not among one of the most supported "sports team" at the school. I feel like every year since I was a freshman their seems to be less and less involvement of PHS with the cheerleaders. I'm constantly hearing about "budget cuts" being the excuse as to why we cannot do certain things, or receive certain items. Often times, it seems like the cheerleaders and a select other few clubs and teams are the only ones that suffer the consequences of budget cuts. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the sports that are focused on at school, I love seeing the shiny new uniforms, matching warmups, and donated new shoes for the athletes to wear and be proud of. But, considering that I have yet to receive a t-shirt to represent the sport that I am involved in on spirit day is a little discouraging. I also enjoy seeing athletes such as the football players and rowers pumped and excited for their next game or regatta, I just wish the cheerleaders could experience that kind of excitement and support. But instead of being pumped and excited, as senior year approaching and tryouts coming up fast I am finding myself wondering which obstacles my team is going to face this year in order to even function. I guess part of my bitterness towards all of this is my attitude, but an even bigger part of my frustration is because this is the reality I sign up for every year when I tryout to do something I love, and it's unfair and needs to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment